Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thing #2

As I watched the 7 1/2 Habits tutorial I cringed when Habit 3 popped up "view problems as challenges". I wish that I could say that was one of my strengths, but it's not. I really try to make myself believe that problems are just challenges in disguise, but all evidence usually suggests otherwise at the moment. I can be really effective working through a problem once I convince myself that it is a challenge. Convincing myself is usually the difficult part.

On the other hand Habit 1 struck a chord with me "begin with the end in mind". I am really good at pinpointing what I want to achieve and planning out all of the necessary steps to get there. This is usually a really helpful habit as it can ensure you don't waste your time on things that won't ultimately lead to the end goal, but sometimes I can become too preoccupied with figuring all of the details out before jumping in on a project!

I loved that Habit 7 1/2 was "play". What a great thing to remember. As educators we constantly encourage students to play and explore to build new knowledge, but sometimes we forget to engage in play as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment